Following her retirement, Garrett continued to serve as Choral Master for “Christmas in Washington,” (TNT-Cable) and “The Kennedy Center Honors” (CBS-TV) until 2014. In 2016 she directed the 200-member “Voices of Tomorrow” choir at the Opening Ceremonies for the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Garrett continues to be called to provide background vocals for many top artists. For each occasion she assembles an independent choir, The Joyce Garrett Singers, composed of many Eastern choir alumni and other talented singers from the area.
Noted performances include:
- 2009: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial
- 2009: Super Bowl Halftime Show featuring Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in Tampa, Florida
- 2013: Directed choirs for Diana Ross on Tour in San Antonio and Austin, Texas
- 2016: National Museum of African American History and Culture Opening Ceremony
- 2016 and 2020: Diana Ross and the Kennedy Center with the National Symphony “Pops” Orchestra
- 2019: Providers singers for Mavis Staples and Katy Perry for David Lynch Foundation
- 2022: Provided singers for the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song Honoring Lionel Richie